Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Biblioteca itinerante

You can read about the Biblioteca itinerante in La Paz and in Yucuaiquin, which I don't know why I haven't taken the time to write about before. It's a joint project between the embassy and the Centro Cultural Salvadoreño Americano, which basically amounts to being a Bookmobile without the vehicle. The set of books stays in a casa de cultural for a month, where they are available to the surrounding schools and general public. I've gone to the openings off and on since I lived in San Miguel, and it's been a great way to get to know more of the pueblos of El Salvador as well as proving that I'm not a good extemporaneous speaker in Spanish and that try as I might I'll probably never get protocolo down. Above all, it provided me with fabulous television appearances where I would then go to the Charlaix to run and people would say, "hey, I saw you on the news yesterday!" These are pics from Paraiso de Osorio in La Paz, Ciudad Barrios in San Miguel (where I wanted to borrow all the books I haven't read since maybe sixth grade), and Chinameca in San Miguel (where they gave me some yummy totopos).








No comments: