Sunday, August 10, 2008

Fiestas agostinas

August 1-6 was vacation finally this year, after two years of missing San Sal's yearly celebrations. I think it's the first "real" vacation time I've spent here in El Salvador (as opposed to running away as quickly as I can to other countries). Here's what happened on my vacation:

1. Went to El Imposible for the second time and watched Edwin's family all be as afraid of insects as he is. Watched them kill these insects. Saw a 6 year old beat me back up the trail. Next time maybe we'll get to the 8 km path. You could see the coastline looking back down...Barra de Santiago, Costa Azul, etc. Beautiful. I was happy that the 2 hours on the stone road going up to the park didn't kill my car or the rental.

2.Went to the feria de consuma twice and ate all kinds of things that were definitely not good for me, but they sure tasted good. There were lots of nice indigo artesanias that were more than just simply tie-dyed (me wearing some in the last pic) at decent prices and now I know where to find some of the talleres.

3.Went to Joya de Ceren and San Andres with Maria Eugenia, Paulina, and Kevin. Saw corn preserved in volcanic ash. Note the building in the back of the first pic...that was the family's sauna (these were some short people).

4.On the same day went to El Boqueron and Puerta del Diablo with Edwin and Kevin.

5.Danced.

6.Reserved the place for the wedding and went there to try the food.

7. Attempted to pack up some of my apartment (again), which wasn't particularly successful (again).

No comments: