Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TESOL in Tampa

I took a small break from Barranquilla last week to go to Tampa, Florida for the TESOL convention. It was a rather expensive trip, but most definitely worth it! I ended up renting a car in Miami and driving up, which would have been great except for the horrible, horrible traffic between Naples and Ft. Meyers. I loved being able to drive again, something that I miss here, mostly because of the freedom that it gives you. The convention was wonderful, which was rather unexpected, as I've only been to smaller conferences. Everything I went to was quality, though! I hope that I can come up with something to present so that I can go to next year's in Seattle. These TESOLers, they can go from 7:00 in the morning to 10:00 at night going to workshops and presentations and meetings. It's crazy! Thankfully, after a week of this, I feel motivated again to do research and continue studying. The only downside other than spending all of my tax refund check in six days was the fact that the weather was beautiful and I had to stay inside all day. I did get to the beach on Sunday. This left me feeling rather depressed, though, since I went to the gorgeous De Soto beach outside of St. Petersburg and I knew that I had to get on the plane the next day to come back to the not-so-nice beaches of Puerto Colombia. I don't ever remember having seen sand that white before in my life...like sugar. I also came back to piles of work; I spent the whole next weekend and then some grading midterms, essays, and blogs. I'm already ready for another break from Barranquilla, so it's a good thing that semana santa is coming up soon. Ideas for the vacation week: Leticia/Amazonas, the eje cafetero, Panama, San Andres and Providencia (too many people will be there though), Quito, Mexico City (too expensive from here, but I can dream, right?)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hola nena te felisito por esas fotos tan hermosas gracias atte policia de turismo- b/quilla http; germanbahos@yahoo.com