In addition to teaching at school, I also led a 18-week online course through the RELO office in Lima, and went to Peru to give workshops for several weeks in the summer. This was a fabulous experience, but the next time I go to Peru I want it to be for vacation (or to live)!
On the El Sal side, we started the process of adopting our niece, only to lose her to violence in September. The last couple months of 2011 were ones of mourning and readjusting our plans for the upcoming years.
And so 2012, here we go. My resolutions....
- Get my recertification classes out of the way so I can get on with my doctorate!
- Convince Cincinnati friends to move to the DC/Baltimore area.
- Reclaim my car so I can go exercise. Walking to the rec is unsafe and somewhat unreliable. Find yoga studio. Go.
- Spend less time lesson planning.
- Save money to buy a house.
- Help husband study for citizenship test.
- Go to El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala and/or Nicaragua this summer. Present at conferences, but don't get suckered into working. Find nice hamaca on a beach and stay there.
- Start volunteering someplace on a regular basis.f
- Find people to hang out with in Baltimore (2011 was boring in that respect). Force husband to go to culture events, or go by myself.
- Go back to Central Ohio to visit family and Cincy to see friends (see number 2).
- Get mother-in-law's tourist visa.
- Make a larger dent in student loans (this is where teaching was not such a great choice).
And, the 11 favorites of 2011:
|Hiking around Maryland|
|Wild ponies! One childhood dream accomplished.|
|Erin learns Salvadorans are Salvadorans wherever they live, and |
that Venezuelans are well-behaved.
|Arequipa, Peru...simply delicious|
|My fabulous Peruvian teachers|
|Garden before it went crazy...no peppers in 2012|
|Spring break in NY|
|More hiking around Maryland|
|Niagara Falls, frozen, after Justin and Lisa's wedding|
|TESOL in New Orleans. I loved New Orleans!|