Sunday, April 12, 2009

Parque Nacional Los Nevados

Edwin got here (Manizales) last Saturday for two and a half week vacation that includes semana santa.  Although most of the week has consisted of playing with the new Macbook and watching movies, we also made it up to Parque Nacional Los Nevados.

Every morning when I get up, I look out the window to see if I can see the Nevado de Ruiz (which actually happens maybe once every ten days if I'm lucky).  The park runs throughout parts of the departments of Caldas, Risaralda, Quindio, and Tolima, and has three major peaks that are snow-covered: Ruiz, Tolima, and Santa Isabel.  On the first day we went up to the glacier-covered part of Ruiz, which is over 15,000 feet high.  I was proud of myself that I didn't get altitude sickness, but Edwin didn't feel so great.  We stayed two nights at El Cisne, which was chilly but fun (except for the the ghost stories that Edwin and Camilo told that didn't let me sleep).  The second day we went to Laguna Verde...nice, but foggy!

I'm sorry that I waited this long to go to the park, and will be sure to go back the next long weekend we have! 

No comments: