Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Should we call him Elvis or Yesaidú?

The crazy names that parents give their kids in Latin America...check it out in today's New York Times. I had a class with at least two Darwins in it in Barranquilla, some Leidys (also with several other spellings and various pronunciations), a Boris, and a Janer. I've ran into some different names here in El Salvador, too, like Iluvny (I love New York), and several Elvises. And you gotta love Yesaidú (Yes, I do)! But I like the fact that parents are free to use their imaginations to come up with new names and spellings! I applaud the man that named his daughters Yusmary Shuain, Yusmery Sailing, Yusneidi Alicia and Yureimi Klaymar!

1 comment:

Berta said...

Hi Erin,
I think I remember you from Collaborative Blogging last year. Yes, I read the article too and I must say many of the names where from Venezuelan parents. We get the most uncommon names at our class rolls and it is very hard sometimes to know if the student is a girl or a boy. I particularly remember a Joseira who was a girl whose mother was Josefina and the father was Ramón. Amazing, eh? I wonder if they will change their names if it were easily done legally but I have heard it is a tedious and long process.
Cheers from a Venezuelan in Toronto.