Sunday, November 26, 2006

Carnaval de San Miguel

I went to San Miguel's Carnaval yesterday. People were trying to tell me that it was bigger and better than Barranquilla's, which was most definitely not true, but it was still fun. I met up with the Fulbright guy and a huge group of Peace Corps people later on, but I think I actually had more fun helping decorate the CCS carroso. The parade started around 8, with floats for each of the neighborhood queens, amusingly named Yesica I, Yanira II, etc. After that, the streets were shut off with stages for 42 different musical groups. I got to see Grupo Niche, with some of my favorite Colombian salsa, and a huge number of Mexican/Salvadoran style cumbia groups. It really amazed me, though, that at the Niche concert, no one was dancing except the crazy group of gringos! People were singing along and all...can't wait to see them again in Cali for the feria, where everyone will be dancing and singing! Check out La Prensa Grafica and El Diario de Hoy for pics, since I didn't take my camera along.

2 comments:

Salviproudgayboy said...

Sorry but the Carnival de San Miguel is the biggest carnival in Central America, and slightly better then Barranquillas because a lot of groups and people from other central american country and even colombia come to support the carnival! Oh and I guess you haven't been to the Carnival de San Salvador, that's where they dance to Salsa, cumbia and the national folklore "The Xuc." However Barranquilla is the best carnival in South America(only spanish country)and even Feria de Cali. But those are the only two city who has the biggest carnivals and their is a lot of dancing! Another popular carnival that is the best out of all the countrys in South America is Brazil, if I am going to reccomand a carnival you should go their, you won't regret it!

Salviproudgayboy said...

Sorry but the Carnival de San Miguel is the biggest carnival in Central America, and slightly better then Barranquillas because a lot of groups and people from other central american country and even colombia come to support the carnival! Oh and I guess you haven't been to the Carnival de San Salvador, that's where they dance to Salsa, cumbia and the national folklore "The Xuc." However Barranquilla is the best carnival in South America(only spanish country)and even Feria de Cali. But those are the only two city who has the biggest carnivals and their is a lot of dancing! Another popular carnival that is the best out of all the countrys in South America is Brazil, if I am going to reccomand a carnival you should go their, you won't regret it!